2015 – 2016 – Colin Gilbert
Colin Gilbert and Bill Barton have begun a series of meetings with local MP’s – starting with Stuart Andrew in December 2015 and Hilary Benn on 18 March 2016. They will also be speaking to Alan Johnson in forthcoming weeks. LLS is particularly keen to discuss with them the need for devolution.
- President and Directors met for lunch with the Vice President of The Law Society, Robert Bourns, on 3 March 2016.
- Deputy President Sue Harris attended the swearing in ceremony of District Judge Lobb at Leeds County Court on 8 March.
- The Leeds Annual Legal Dinner 2016 was held at Aspire on 3 March, with 340 guests in attendance.
- President Colin Gilbert and Past President David Barraclough have recently met with the Committees of some of the other local law societies and will be attending a meeting to formally put together a re- launch of the Yorkshire Union of Local Law Societies.
- Managing Partners of some of the larger Leeds law firms had asked Leeds Law Society to assist in recruiting new talent to the city. Having attended the Newcastle University Law Fair last October, the Society will be attending Law Fairs at other northern universities this autumn, to include Durham, Leeds, Newcastle and Manchester.
- Colin Gilbert recently hosted a breakfast forum on the new SQE with BPP Law School and senior members of the SRA. A response to the SRA’s consultation on Training for Tomorrow has been compiled and submitted by Sue Harris and Catie Woodward on behalf of Leeds Law Society.
- Colin Gilbert and Sue Harris (Deputy President) regularly attend meetings of the Joint V, which is a collaboration of the five largest law societies in England: Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Liverpool and Manchester. Most recently they heard more from the Director of Education and Training at the SRA who was able to explain the thinking behind their proposals. LLS will be submitting a response to their first consultation. We are told to expect a second consultation in the autumn.
- The CEO of The Law Society, Catherine Dixon, came to Leeds in January to address the LLS Board and meet with in-house and some of the Managing Partners of larger firms.
Up coming activity:-
- A meeting is scheduled in April with Leeds City Council’s Regeneration Officer to jointly commission a study to determine the value of legal services to the Leeds economy.
- Deputy President Sue Harris is organising an informal networking event for local district judges to meet with LLS directors and members of the Court Liaison Group and Family Court Liaison Group – to be held on 18 April 2016.
- Senior Manager Jane MacGregor will be speaking at the Law Society’s Annual Presidents and Secretaries Conference on 6 May on the topic of “Innovative Ways to Run a Local Law Society”.
- The next Joint V meeting will be held in Liverpool on 12 May 2016.